A Shot in the Dark 2021
We are so excited to reveal that we have 47 confirmed entries for this year’s competition! Thank you to all the roasters who have put their names forward to compete despite the circumstances of the past year.
We have will soon be able to reveal the INCREDIBLE Preliminary Round Coffee and a full timeline of the events leading up to the First Round submission deadline.
What is the benefit of taking part?
- Significant prizes are up for grabs!
- Each competitor receives a special “ASITD competition pack” which includes merchandise and a sticker roll for your competition coffee – this means, that while you submit 500g to the judges, any coffee leftover, you can sell with your special ASITD sticker on your coffee bags as a Limited Edition offering at a premium price.
- Exposure in The Coffee Magazine and on the Coffee magazine digital and social media platforms.
- Access to special online “competitor cuppings” with Genio and Sevenoaks.
- Access to special Genio exclusive content and online workshops to improve your roasting game!
- Inclusion into a knowledgeable and nurturing community of passionate roasters.
- Big media exposure for the Top Ten – These all get extra media and one -on -one interviews with Coffee Magazine.
How does it work?
There are 2 Rounds – In the first round, each competitor receives the competition coffee (you can choose between 10, 20 or 40kg of coffee), which is always a very high scoring speciality green coffee, roasts the coffee in their own roastery and submits 500g to the judges for scoring.
The Preliminary Round coffee is once again provided by the wonderful team at Sevenoaks Trading. The coffees are cupped by a panel of judges and scored according to the ASITD scoresheet. The first round of judging happens at the Coffee Lab at Sevenoaks Trading JHB offices.
The top ten competitors then move through to the FINALS Round where we provide a new coffee, plus introduce a Blending Challenge for espresso beverages.
Behind the scenes look at ASITD 2020 Finalists
ASITD 2020’s Winner: Father Coffee
What an incredible journey it has been for 48 brilliant coffee roasters who entered South Africa’s premiere coffee roasting competition, Coffee Magazine’s A Shot in The Dark Competition presented by Genio Roasters.
We could not be happier for Father Coffee from Johannesburg that impressed the judges the most and claimed the prestigious title of A Shot in the Dark Champion for 2020.
Father Coffee, co-owned by Barry Weedon and Chad Goddard, is a specialty coffee roaster that serves and supplies the best coffee in Johannesburg from their espresso bar in Juta Street, Braamfontein, as well as their flagship roastery and espresso bar in The Zone @ Rosebank.
Visit Father Coffee’s online shop for their specialty-grade coffee range, crowd-pleasing blends, rad merchandise, hand-picked coffee equipment, milk for coffee alternatives and so much more.
Special FAQ Video
The Coffee Magazine has put together a few FAQ’s for the 4th Edition of A Shot in the Dark.
So if you’re thinking of entering or you want to know more about South Africa’s premier roasting competition, have a look!