Frequently Asked Questions
OPERATING A ROASTING BUSINESS
Is roasting coffee profitable?
YES! Otherwise we would not be in business. Roasted coffee is typically sold for a gp of between 60% and 110% depending on your market. However, the only way to run a profitable roasting business is to sell volume. The more you sell, the more money will go into your pocket.
What are the typical running costs?
- 10min per day for cleaning
What else do I need in my roastery?
- Gas installation for the roaster’s burners which heats the coffee
- Ventilation installation to remove the smoke created during roasting
- A good Packet Grinder
- A package sealer – typically a simple foot or conveying sealer is used
- Packaging and Labelling to sell your coffee in
- A vacuum cleaner and small toolbox to keep your roaster clean
- A scale to weigh your roasted and green coffee
- Buckets and scoops to keep your coffee – roasted coffee takes up a lot of space!
Why Genio Roasters? What makes your roaster special?
We do not have a board of directors to please, nor are we stuck in the same groove that so many others have fallen into. We employ fresh, new technology that will grow with your business. Rather than follow what so many other already do well, we strive to break the rules and set the bar higher than what it has ever been.
What is all this talk about Heat Transfer?
Can I control and change my roast parameters?
- Burner flame size (pressure) can be controlled 100% in 1% increments
- Motor speeds for the fans, drum and even the agitator are all fully adjustable
- The burner position can also change in real time. It moves up and down, back to front underneath the roasting drum as you roast. You obviously have full control over its position